google-site-verification: googlee16c7726ecc34510.html

Running For Office

Group during election

Qualifications for Municipal Office

People wishing to serve as an Aurora elected official must meet the following requirements:

  • Registered elector

  • Citizen of the United States

  • 21 years of age

  • Resident of Aurora for at least one year preceding the date of the election

  • If elected from a ward, a one-year resident and registered elector of that ward.

No council member shall hold any other elective public office nor be a salaried employee of the city of Aurora.

Circulating a Nomination Petition 

People wishing to run for municipal office must obtain from and file nomination petitions with the City Clerk. The nomination petition process is from Aug. 4, 2021 to Aug. 24, 2021. Click here for a complete set of instructions on obtaining and submitting nomination petitions.

City Council Ward Requirements

  • A minimum of fifty (50) signatures of registered electors within the ward is required on the petition

  • Candidates shall obtain signatures from registered electors residing within their ward

  • A registered elector may sign ONLY one ward candidate petition

Mayor and At-Large Requirements

  • A minimum of one hundred (100) signatures of registered electors within the City is required on the petition

  • Candidates shall obtain signatures from registered electors residing anywhere within the City of Aurora

  • A registered elector may sign no more than two at-large candidate petitions

Initial Filing Paperwork

If you have not already completed and filed the following forms, please file them at the same time you file your nomination petition. These forms will be included in the petition packet.

Candidate Affidavit
Standalone Candidate Affidavit

Treasurer Affidavit
Committee Registration Statement


Candidate Information and Guides

If you are interested in running for municipal office in Aurora, please see the Candidate Handbook for detailed information.
Refer to the 
Campaign Finance Guide or the FAQ - Election Finance Campaign to explore questions and help guide you through the process of campaign finance reporting.

Council Candidate Campaign Prep Virtual Training Session

Learn how to become a city council candidate, the requirements for reporting contributions and expenditures, and the process and requirements for nomination petitions.

Recording of the WebEx virtual training session: Candidate Training Session

PowerPoint presentation for the virtual training: Candidate Training PowerPoint Presentation

City Clerk's office election email -

Political Signs

Political Signs Also known as Temporary Signs for Non-Commercial Event (Such as an election or community affair).

* Free standing political signs must be solidly supported in the ground, in good repair, and firmly attached to mounting devices.

* Political signs cannot be attached to any traffic control device, directional or regulatory sign, or placed in the public right-of-way. Public right-of-way includes all street medians, visibility triangles (equilateral triangle areas at intersections extending approximately 30 feet from corner), and highway/street shoulders. Generally, right-of-way along highways and streets extends in towards the property approximately ten (10) feet from the curb, flow line or gutter.

* Political signs cannot be erected on any public property, such as parks, public buildings, bike paths and public signs.

* Signs cannot be larger than six square feet per side and no more than four feet from the ground.

* Signs must be removed seven days following the date of the election.

* Political signs do not require a permit, but this exemption does not relieve the owner (candidate) of the responsibility for the erection, maintenance and compliance with the provisions of the code or ordinances pertaining to signs.

* To place a political sign on a vacant property requires the permission of the property owner before posting. To obtain owner information of a vacant property, the following information is provided: For properties in Arapahoe County, call 303.636.1371. For properties in Adams County, call 303.659.2120.

Political signs in violation of any portion of the City Code may be confiscated without notice by city staff according to the provisions of Aurora City Code Section 146-1609.

City of Aurora | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2021 Intrado Corporation.