google-site-verification: googlee16c7726ecc34510.html

Business Licensing

Business Couple

Any "person" (person defined as a sole proprietor, partnership, LLC or corporation, including non-profit organizations) who conducts business activities within the city of Aurora or has employees working in the city of Aurora, is required to have a business license. A separate license is required for each location within the city of Aurora.

Licensing a company to conduct business in Aurora begins with the Business License Application. The resulting business license is the company’s authorization to conduct business in Aurora. It also establishes the required sales, use, Occupational Privilege (OPT) and/or Lodger's tax filing roles and allows the business access to a variety of city services including online filing options.

Use the Licensing Portal link to initiate your request for a business license. The online application tool will guide you through the application process and offers a variety of ways to pay for the license and fees (Pay online via ACH or credit card or print a voucher to mail a paper check).

 Business License Application Online
  • Application Fee: $18.00
  • Initial License Fee/Renewal License Fee: $27.00

  • Period Covered: Two years from date of issuance

  All services are provided electronically using the licensing portal.

Licensing Section
[email protected]

Marijuana and Hemp Licensing

Marijuana retail store, cultivation, manufacturing and testing establishments must go to the Marijuana Licensing web page for licensing information. Applicants may not use the city's Licensing Portal for this process.

Mobile Food Vendor

The city of Aurora has adopted Mobile Food Truck regulations that make it easier for food truck vendors to operate in Aurora.

Mobile Ice Cream Vendor

The city of Aurora has adopted Mobile Ice Cream Vendor regulations to permit operation in residential zones with limitations.

Guide for Temporary and Permanent Outdoor Expansions for Restaurants

This document provides guidance on how to apply for temporary or permanent outdoor dining areas for restaurants and things to consider when developing your plans.

Business License is Non-Transferable with Change of Business Ownership

Any change of ownership requires a new application and $43.00 fee for the business license. A $20 processing fee is required if a paper application is submitted.

The change of a license from one location to another shall require the submission of a change of location Licensing Portal and the issuance of a new license, with payment of an application fee only, in accordance with the provisions relating to the particular license for which such transfer is sought.

Please view the Aurora Code, Chapter 86 LICENSES, for more information.

Requirements for a "Home Occupation" Business

Home Occupation is a secondary use that operates business activities within a residential dwelling and follows the Supplemental Regulations for Home Occupations set forth within the Building and Zoning Code Section 146-3.3.J.

Home Occupations require a Business License and must meet the following regulations:

  1. The activity is incidental and secondary to the primary purpose served by the dwelling.

  2. A home occupation shall not create noise, dust, vibration, smell smoke, glare, electrical interference, fire hazard, or any other nuisance or hazard that disturbs the peace and quiet of a residential area.

  3. The residents of the dwelling unit shall be the only people engaged in the activity.

  4. The storage of materials to be used in the activity shall be inside either the principal building or an accessory building.

  5. There shall be no external evidence that indicates or advertises the performance of the activity.

  6. Except for parties entering the dwelling unit as a result of prior individual invitation, the general public shall not be invited to or solicited upon the premises.

  7. Performance of any personal service, shall be limited to one pupil; client, which may include a partnership, married couple or parties engaged in a joint venture; or customer at any one time.

  8. The use shall not jeopardize the health, safety, or welfare of the occupants or of the surrounding neighborhood.

  9. The activity shall not cause an amount of vehicular or pedestrian traffic not normally associated with the residential area in which the home occupation is conducted.

Note that a home occupation is for the economic gain or support of a resident of the dwelling and is incidental and secondary to the residential use. The use shall not include an animal hospital, day care, health clinic, hospital, kennel, tearoom or hemp fabrication, manufacturing or processing.

Daycare homes/centers, group homes, schools, places of worship are not regarded as home occupations because they are categorized as Live/Work and are regulated separately within the Building and Zoning Code.

All licenses referred to here and issued by Business Licensing are not transferable to a new owner. Any change of ownership requires a new application and license, with fees paid according to the provisions applying to that particular license.

Lodging Services/Short-Term Rentals

Anyone advertising rentals lasting for less than 30 days is engaging in the provision of lodging services. A business license and collection of the lodger’s tax may be required.  Renting a property with a long-term written lease agreement for more than 30 days is not in the business of providing lodging services and the following requirements do not apply. The following FAQ provide information regarding short term rentals in most Aurora residential zones.

Aurora Short-Term Rentals FAQ

other business couple

Small Business Assistance

The Aurora-South Metro Small Business Development Center (SBDC) offers assistance and support to entrepreneurs in Arapahoe, Douglas, and Adams counties. We work with small business owners at all stages of business, whether they have an idea and are considering starting a business, have just started their business, or have been operating for an extended period of time.

Business Licensing and Tax Class

Aurora offers a free workshop designed to help new and existing businesses understand business licensing and taxes. This beginner level seminar is intended to explain what is necessary to start-up in Aurora, and all types of businesses are welcome. Understand the process of obtaining a business license in Aurora, taxpayer rights and responsibilities, taxes you may have to pay, and the reason that audits are conducted. Tax and Licensing staff will be available to answer questions specific to your industry or situation.

Date: Wednesday, July 10, 2024 from 9 to 11 a.m.
Location: Microsoft Teams Video Conference

Please go to the Aurora-South Metro Small Business Development Center (SBDC) website for more details and to register.

City of Aurora | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2024 Civiclive.