google-site-verification: googlee16c7726ecc34510.html

Flood Awareness: Protect Yourself

Flood Preparedness

Before the flood

Be prepared for an emergency
Visit the City of Aurora Office of Emergency Preparedness page to learn how to sign up for emergency notifications, receive severe weather safety tips, learn about the emergency warning systems and prepare for an emergency. Updated information on evacuation routes and shelters are also provided. 

The time to protect yourself from flooding is before the event occurs. any preparations can be accomplished before the next flood. The following checklist will help you prepare in a logical order: 

1. Determine how bad flooding could be on your property (see the box). The Aurora Office of Emergency Management and the Urban Drainage and Flood Control District can help you with this.
2. Be familiar with official warning and evacuation procedures. 
3. Purchase your own water alarm if your flooding comes from sewer backup or basement seepage. The alarm can give you precious extra time to keep your damage to a minimum. A water alarm, which is similar to a smoke alarm, will beep when water touches it. Water alarms cost about $15 and are available at hardware stores.
4. Talk to your insurance agent about your homeowner’s and flood insurance coverage. Consider separate flood and sewer backup insurance policies. 
5. Prepare a list of emergency telephone numbers, including the number for your insurance agent. Make copies and keep the in your car, at work, or other safe locations away from your home. 
6. Assemble the supplies you will need for cleanup and recovery and put them in a safe place that will stay dry during a flood, click here for preparing a disaster supply kit
7. Make a record of all your personal property. Go through your house room by room and make a household inventory. Take photographs of the inside and outside of your house, or videotape them. Inventory forms are available free from most insurance companies, or you can create your own. 
8. Put photocopies of inventory records, insurance policies, deeds, automobile titles, wills, telephone numbers, bank and credit card account numbers, and other valuable papers at a location away from your house and outside the floodplain, such as a safe deposit box. 
9. Write a Flood Response Plan and keep copies in your car, at work, near the utility meters, or other prominent places. The American Red Cross can provide a sample family response plan to get you started. 

The Flood Response Plan needs to be based on your own property's flood risk and how much lead time you have following a flood watch or warning. For example, if you are warned of a life-threatening flash flood, you should get out of the area immediately, without worrying about the backup power supply to your sump pump. Your plan should be a checklist of steps to take before floodwaters reach your house. 

During the flood

Know the flood warning signals

  • watch means conditions are in place for severe weather

  • warning means severe weather, flooding, tornadoes, etc. are occurring or imminent

Keep updated on weather signals, sign up for emergency alerts and know the different warning signals

If you have only a few minutes following a Flood Warning, these activities might be on your flood response plan.  

• Monitor Everbridge, the emergency notification system, as well as local radio  or TV stations for flood information and evacuation instructions. 
• Pre-plan two places where family members can meet if you are split up, one place in the neighborhood and another place that is out of the flood area. These places could be at friends' houses or higher ground, where family members can contact each other. 
• If you leave, take your pets, medicine and other things you will need if you can't return home for a day or two. Leave a note explaining where you have gone, when you left and how to contact you. 
• If you leave, lock your house and follow your evacuation route to shelter. 

If you have 15 to 30 minutes of warning, do these things: 

• Install any prepared flood proofing measures     
• Turn off the electricity and water. If you only expect basement flooding,you can turn off the electricity to only that area and still have power in the rest of your house. When you prepare your response plan, mark your breaker box or fuse box to show which electrical circuits serve the basement. 
• Shut off the gas only if necessary. If you turn off the gas, you will have to contact the utility company to turn the gas back on and relight your furnace pilot light. Preplan your intended response to different flood conditions when you are writing your Flood Response Plan. 
• Test the backup power supply to your sump pump. 
• Move the most valuable or damage-prone contents in your house to above the flood level or to another safe place. These include small carpets, lower drawers to dressers and cabinets, and cleaning fluids or hazardous chemicals. They can be moved to the upper story of your house or placed on top of cabinets, if floodwaters will not be that deep.

Safety tips for driving in heavy rain

  • If you must drive in the rain, drive slowly and steadily.


  • Six inches of water will reach the bottom of most passenger cars, causing loss of control or possible stalling.

  • One foot of water will float most vehicles.

  • Two feet of rushing water can sweep away most vehicles — including SUVs and pick-ups.

  • Stay away from water that downed electrical or power lines have fallen into; the electric current passes through water easily.

  • Stay off the telephone unless you must report severe injuries or call for help. 

Walking or cycling in heavy rain

When rain is falling, it’s best not to walk or bike near a river or stream, even on Denver’s paved urban bike and walking trails; water flow can quickly increase and flooding can occur without notice.

Move to higher ground and never go into a culvert. If you are on a streamside trail during a rainstorm use the alternate trail up to street level to avoid underpasses and culverts.

  • NEVER take shelter in a culvert, under a bridge, or in an enclosed space, especially in low elevations by rivers and streams. Always go to higher ground out of the flow of water. 

  • Monitor trail closures and follow all trail closures signage and guidelines.Click here for more information.  - See more at: 

  • Do not walk or bike through moving water. Six inches of moving water can cause a person to fall.

  • If lightning is present, do not stand under or near an isolated tree or group of trees.

  • Never allow children to play around streams, drainage ditches or viaducts, storm drains or flooded areas 

Localized street flooding

In some areas that are geographical low-points and underpasses, water can't be expected to disappear down the storm inlets instantly — the pace and volume of the rainfall is too quick and too great to immediately drain off. It takes time for the system to accommodate it.

If you know that your street tends to flood because it is located in a low point, be sure to move your vehicles to higher ground.

What you can do to prevent flooding and keep your neighborhood clean 

  • Ensure street gutters and alleys are clear of trash and loose items that could potentially interfere with storm drainage.

  • Avoid placing trash and recyclables in bags or containers directly on drains and inlets.

  • Avoid placing your trash or recycling carts, trash bags, trash cans or loose items out early on your collection day, especially on days when rain is in the forecast. City rules prohibit trash or recyclables from being placed out for collection earlier than 7 p.m. on the day prior to collection and requires that emptied containers be removed from the collection location by 7 p.m. the day of collection.

  • When heavy rain is forecast, place trash and recycling bins and items at the end of your driveway close to, but not in, the street to keep the gutter flow line clear and to avoid spillage due to heavy water flow.

  • Do not rake leaves, grass clippings or yard debris into the street or alley or put them down an inlet.

  • Never, ever throw lawn clippings and other yard debris into a gulch or stream. Call if you see dumping or debris in a drainage way.

After a Flood

Here are some HELPFUL TIPS to help you get your home back to normal following a major flood.

Disposing of Debris

The Denver Arapahoe Disposal Site (DADS) at 3500 S. Gun Club Road accepts most kinds of waste, and recycles many of these items. Disposal fees do apply. Call 720.876.2650 for details.

As an alternative,residents may purchase a "Bagster" at several area stores for about $30 to fill up, leave at the curb and call Waste Management for pickup.There is a charge associated with pickup. Call 303.486.6000 for more information. Residents also might consider teaming up with neighbors to pitch in for a roll-off dumpster to share.

Before paying for additional services, check with your trash provider to see about possible discounted rates for flood-related debris.

To recycle your mattress or box spring for a fee, visit the website for Spring Back Colorado in Denver or call 720.515.1328 for details. If your mattress or boxspring was flood-damaged, please allow it to dry in the sun before attempting to recycle it.

Repair Work

Search this online database to find out if your contractor is licensed with the city of Aurora.

Health Concerns During a Flood

Visit the Tri County Health Department website or call 303.220.9200 for health-related concerns or questions related to flooding.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) offers these tips on how to clean and sanitize after a flood emergency.

Mold Problems

The Tri-County Health Department or the city of Aurora code officers cannot inspect or test for mold. The city’s code enforcement officers can go out and visibly inspect for mold in rental properties only and issue a notice to the landlord for cleanup if warranted. We may not be able to take action unless the occupant has a licensed contractor attest to the mold. Call Access Aurora at 303.739.7000 to request a visit from a code officer.

To test for mold: Inexpensive mold testing kits are sold at hardware stores and mold and restoration companies will also test for a fee.

Help Cleaning Up

If you need some assistance in cleaning up your property, call 211 to report your need and connect with an agency that might be able to help.

Additional information and resources can be found at Protect your Personal Property and Belongings.

Community Development Assistance

The Community Development Single Family Rehabilitation Program and the Emergency Repair Program cannot assist with disaster relief efforts, which can include leaking roofs, structural flooding, standing water, replacement of broken/leaking windows, sewer line backups, basement repairs, etc.

Please contact FEMA at 1.800.621.FEMA (3362) for information pertaining to disaster relief assistance available in your area.

Emergency Housing Repair

These programs are for low-income residents and seniors. Income restrictions apply.

Mile High United Way

Mile High United Way has a 211 Help Line. The 211 operators have many flood relief resources available through that database.

USDA Rural Housing Repair and Rehabilitation Loans

These are loans funded directly by the federal government. These loans are available to very low-income rural residents who own and occupy a dwelling in need of repairs. Funds are available for repairs to improve or modernize a home, or to remove health and safety hazards. This loan is a 1 percent loan that may be repaid over a 20-year period

Rebuilding Together

They provide critical repairs, accessibility modifications and energy efficient upgrades to low-income homes and community centers at no cost to service recipients. 720.524.0840

Home Repair Loan Program

Programs with Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

Temporary Housing

Colorado Housing Search

Colorado Housing Search is helping flood victims in impacted areas.

Landlords, if you have available units, please log in and update your listings immediately. Call 1.877.428.8844 or email to [email protected].

Residents in need of housing may search through the listings. For assistance with searching, call 1.877.428.8844 or email to [email protected].

FEMA Interim Housing Resources

FEMA Housing Portal

This portal is intended to help individuals and families, who have been displaced by a disaster, find a place to live. The portal consolidates rental resources identified and provided by federal agencies, such as the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), U.S. Veterans Affairs (VA), private organizations and the public, to help individuals and families find available rental units in their area.

Replacing Important Papers

After a disaster, important papers may be destroyed, lost or damaged. The following is information on how to replace your important papers.

Birth and Death Certificates

To replace a birth or death certificate for U.S. citizens who were born or died in the United States, visit or contact:

Vital Records Office
Colorado Department of Health 
4300 Cherry Creek Drive South
Denver, CO 80246-1530

303.692.2224 General 
303.756.4464 Information 
1.800.423.1108 Fax

For birth records of U.S. citizens born abroad, visit or request a copy of Form FS-240 (Consular Report of Birth Abroad) from:

U.S. Department of State Passport Services
Vital Records Section
1111 19th Street, NW, Room 510 
Washington, D.C. 20036

This address is also used to obtain a “Report of the Death of an American Citizen Abroad” form for U.S. citizens who died abroad.

Citizenship and Naturalization Papers

For papers related to citizenship, immigration, permanent residency (greencard), re-entry permit, employment authorization, etc., visit Complete Form N-565. You may also contact your county court house.

Driver’s Licenses or State ID Cards

Aurora Offices: 14391 E. Fourth Ave., 303.344.8400, or 15400 E. 14th Place, 303.795.4500

To replace your Colorado driver's license or ID card, you must visit a Division of Motor Vehicles office. Bring in one form of acceptable identification (such as a passport or birth certificate), and provide proof of address (i.e. a utility bill, credit card statement, pay stub,vehicle registration, etc.).

Income Tax Returns

Call the nearest IRS office, or call 1.800.829.3676 and request Form 4506 (“Request for Copy of Tax Return”). To find your local IRS office in Colorado, go to:

Marriage Certificates & Divorce Papers

Copies of certificates of marriage are available from the county that issued the marriage license, and divorce decrees are available from the county that granted the divorce. For ordering and fee information, please contact the local registrar in the county where the marriage certificate was issued or the divorce granted. To learn where to obtain vital records, including marriage certificates and divorce degrees, contact the National Center for Health Statistics at:

Military Discharge Papers

Request Standard Form 180 (SF-180) from any office of the Veterans Affairs, the American Legion, the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the American Red Cross, a veterans’ association, or military recruiter. You may also download the form from: Send the completed forms as indicated in the address list on page 2 of the SF-180.

To find out if you are eligible for veterans’ benefits, how to apply, and what it will cost. Call the VA Health Resource Center at 1.877.222.8387. You may be able to complete an application form online.

City of Aurora | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2024 Civiclive.